The Annual Award Ceremony of the Auschwitz Foundation Prizes will take place at the Brussels City Hall on Wednesday 27 October at 6 PM.
The Auschwitz Foundation Prizes are awarded annually to two high-level academic works in honour of all victims of the Nazi concentration camps and extermination centres.
The Auschwitz Foundation Prizes have been granted for the academic year 2020-2021 to the following researchers:
- The ‘Auschwitz Foundation Prize’ (€3,125) to Mr Tom VANASSCHE for his work entitled Ruptured Affections: The Pathos of Anti-Pathos in Shoah Literature and Historiography, Inaugural-Dissertation zur Erlangung der Doktorwürde der Philologischen Fakultät der Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg i. Br., 2019-2020.
- The ‘Auschwitz Foundation – Jacques Rozenberg Prize’ (€3,125) to Ms Anna Veronica POBBE for her work entitled Hans Biebow dopo il 1941: la Wehrmacht, la Soluzione Finale e la fine del ghetto di Łódź, Corso di Dottorato in « Culture d’Europa, Ambiente, Spazi, Storie, Arti, Idee », Università degli Studi di Trente, Settore scientifico-disciplinare, 2018-2019.
- The ‘Research grant from the Auschwitz Foundation’ (€3,125) to Ms Erika SILVESTRI for her research project entitled Family secrets: trans-generational memory transmission of Aktion T4, Doctoral candidate at Zentrum für Antisemitismusforschung, TU Berlin. Cotutelle with La Sapienza University of Rome.
The 2019-2020 Auschwitz Foundation Prizes that could not be granted last year due to the pandemic will also be granted to the following researchers during the 2020-2021 academic session:
- The ‘Auschwitz Foundation Prize’ (€3,125) to Mr Loïc LUTZ for his work entitled Les frères Seuss. Itinéraires et parcours de deux bourreaux concentrationnaires nazis, Mémoire de recherche en histoire contemporaine (Histoire et civilisations de l’Europe – parcours Europe occidentale), Faculté des Sciences Historiques, Université de Strasbourg, 2019.
- The ‘Auschwitz Foundation – Jacques Rozenberg Prize’ (€3,125) to Ms Amélie FAUCHEUX for her work entitled Massacrer dans l’intimité. Le retournement des liens sociaux et familiaux dans le cas du génocide des Tutsis du Rwanda de 1994, Thèse de doctorat en sociologie, École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Institut Jean Nicod, Paris, 2019.
- A ‘Special Jury Prize’ (€3,125) to Mr Pierre GOETSCHEL for his documentary entitled La Dernière d’entre elles produced by Les films de l’œil sauvage, 52 and 70 min, France, 2019.
The jury had also decided to award:
- The ‘Research grant from the Auschwitz Foundation’ (€3,125) to Ms Léa MENDELBAUM and to Mr William HENNE for their animated feature documentary drama project entitled Sonder, based on the story of Leon Cohen, From Greece to Birkenau, The Crematoria Workers’ Uprising, Creative Copywriter, Brussels.
A ‘Special Mention of the Jury’ to Mr Grégory CÉLERSE and to Ms Catherine BERNSTEIN for their documentary film project entitled Les Oubliés du 11 septembre 42, Kuiv Productions (Vincent Sacripanti, Développement & Distribution), Paris.
The academic session for the presentation of the Auschwitz Foundation 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 Prizes, will take place on Wednesday 27 October 2021 at 6 PM in the Gothic Room of Brussels City Hall, hosted by:
- Mr Philippe CLOSE, Mayor of the City of Brussels, and by the Council of Aldermen of the City of Brussels
- Mr Henri GOLDBERG, President, and by the Board of Directors of Remembrance of Auschwitz
and will be honoured by the presence of:
- Mr Thomas DERMINE, State Secretary for Economic Recovery and Strategic Investments, in charge of Science Policy, added to the Minister of the Economy and Employment
- Mr Sammy MAHDI, State Secretary for Asylum and Migration, in charge of the National Lottery
- Mr Francesco GENUARDI, Ambassador of Italy to Belgium
- Mr Martin KOTTHAUS, Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany to Belgium
- Ms Sophie VILLETTE, First Counsellor of the Embassy, who will represent Ms Hélène FARNAUD-DEFROMONT, Ambassador of France to Belgium
To attend the academic session, prior registration is required (mentioning name, position and e-mail address), to be sent to Daniel Weyssow